Production Operator – Mashing, Fermenting, and Distillation
Reports to: Production Manager
This position performs, monitors, and documents batch process operations in the mashing and fermenting of raw materials for the distillation of spirits and Whiskey manufacturing.
- Operating and maintaining all aspects of milling, mashing, boiling, whirlpool, cooling, yeast handling, fermenting, and filtering processes.
- Batches the raw materials including weighing, mixing and the processing of all ingredients within a very specific order, quantity, and time.
- Monitors multiple stages of the process, especially critical time and temperature requirements.
- Collects samples of product for testing and quality verification.
- Operating multiple distillation units, taking samples at specific times and temperatures to measure for quality of spirit.
- Continually monitors and adjusts working parameters of stills to ensure proper operation and timely turnaround.
- Performs cutting of finished spirit by processing through measured stages to achieve finished quality targets.
- Weigh barrels, fill with spirit, locate to storage areas and document spirit inventory data.
- Performs CIP operations on tanks, lines, heat exchangers, and other equipment while following all appropriate quality, PPE and safety procedures.
- Assists in supervising others while performing work during the bottling and packaging of product.
- Is responsible for personal safety and the safety of others.
- Responsible to inform supervision of any existing safety issue, process deviation, product loss, unplanned outage or unexpected environmental discharge.
- Maintains a high regard for the quality of the product produced and the work performed.
- Is responsible for accurate documentation and recording throughout the production process.
- Is responsible for the maintenance of all tanks, pumps, valves and other process equipment in assigned area of responsibility.
- Maintains sanitation in area of responsibility and follows all SOP’s and GMPs to the letter.
- Able to safely operate a fork truck for unloading and staging materials.
- Performs all other duties as assigned or required by the supervisor.
- Heavy lifting over 55 lbs.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Minimum High School diploma, College degree in Sciences or Industrial Technology is highly preferred.
- 1-3 years production brewing/distilling/wine making experience highly preferred.
- Production maintenance background, knowledge of equipment operation and reliability.
- Strong mechanical ability with problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task and provide accurate documentation.
- Ability to follow direction, work independently and be a team player supporting business operations.
- Proper use of PPE and Safe chemical handling knowledge is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires above average verbal and written communication skills, math and science skills. Candidate must have a thorough knowledge of production operations, have solid organization skills and be detail oriented. Must be completely familiar with appropriate safety procedures such as PPE use, confined space entry and hazard communications requirements. Must have a strong mechanical background, be goal and objective oriented, and be able to work cohesively as a team. Must be able to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
Typical Working Environment:
This position works entirely in a production environment. Rotational shift work is required and willingness to work weekends when requested. Noise, dust, and variable temperature and use of production chemicals are also typical in this work environment. May be required to work and direct in confined spaces.
Please send a letter of interest and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org noting the Production Operator position in the subject line.