Position Title: Distiller – Mashing, Fermenting, and Distillation
Job Location: Denver, Colorado
Reports to: Production Manager
Direct Reports NA
Position Summary: This position performs, monitors, and documents batch process operations from mashing and fermenting of raw materials through the distillation of spirits.
- Operates and maintains the processes of milling, mashing, boiling, whirlpool, cooling, yeast handling, fermenting, and liquid transfers.
- Batches the raw materials including weighing, mixing and the processing of all ingredients within a very specific order, quantity, and time.
- Monitors multiple stages of the process, especially critical time and temperature requirements.
- Collects samples of product for testing and quality verification.
- Operates multiple distillation units, takes samples at specific times and temperatures to measure for quality of spirit.
- Continually monitors and adjusts working parameters of stills to ensure proper operation and timely turnaround.
- Performs cutting of finished spirit by processing through measured stages to achieve finished quality targets.
- Fills barrels with spirit, transfers to storage areas and documents barrel inventories.
- Performs CIP operations on tanks, lines, heat exchangers, and other equipment while following all appropriate quality, PPE and safety procedures.
- Supports the ordering of raw materials and producing production reports.
- Supports inventory processes, receiving materials, and unloading trucks using a forklift.
- At times assists with whiskey processing activities to support bottling operations.
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others.
- Responsible for informing supervisor of any existing safety issue, process deviation, product loss, unplanned outage or unexpected environmental discharge.
- Maintains a high regard for the quality of the product produced and the work performed.
- Responsible for accurate documentation and recording throughout the production process.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all tanks, pumps, valves and other process equipment in assigned area.
- Maintains sanitation in area of responsibility and follows all SOP’s and GMPs to the letter.
- Able to safely operate a fork truck for unloading and staging materials.
- Performs all other duties as assigned or required by the supervisor.
- Heavy lifting over 55 lbs.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Minimum High School diploma, College degree in Sciences or Industrial Technology is highly preferred.
- 1-3 years production brewing/distilling/wine making experience highly preferred.
- Background in biochemistry and/or lab experience highly preferred
- Production maintenance background, knowledge of equipment operation and reliability.
- Strong mechanical ability with problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task and provide accurate documentation.
- Ability to follow direction, work independently and be a team player supporting business operations.
- Proper use of PPE and safe chemical handling knowledge is required.
- Ability to work a rotating shift schedule in a 24-hour facility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires above average verbal and written communication skills, math and science skills. Candidate must have a thorough knowledge of production operations, have solid organization skills and be detail oriented. Must be completely familiar with appropriate safety procedures such as PPE use, confined space entry and hazard communications requirements. Must have a strong mechanical background, be goal and objective oriented, and be able to work cohesively as a team. Must be able to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
Typical Working Environment:
This position works entirely in a production environment. Rotational shift work is required and willingness to work weekends when requested. Noise, dust, and variable temperature and use of production chemicals are also typical in this work environment. May be required to work and direct in confined spaces.
When applying, please submit both a resume and cover letter.
We look forward to hearing from you!